Are Goals Enough to Get You There?
Within the next few days we will be welcoming a new year. As 2018 approaches, many of us will be setting goals, things we’d like to do and improve on in the new year. I hope there are some very fun bucket list items showing up on your list 🙂
I’m praying that 2018 is the most powerful, exciting, fulfilling year in your life!
Naturally, I’ve been thinking about my own goals recently, searching for the balance point between doing and being. Because it’s far too easy to get caught up in doing and completely forget about who I am being. So I had to wonder if goals alone are enough to get me where I want to be in life?
I recently watched a Mindvalley interview with Jon Butcher in which he explained the difference between goals and habits. I want to share with you his main points, and if you want to learn more, go watch the video link above. Butcher explains that when he was younger, he never had a goal to be in excellent physical condition in his 50s, but as it turns out he is! He further explains that he is physically fit because he made working out a habit, not just for a while, but for 30 years. Habits he says are what we do to support our purpose in life. About achieving success, he points out, “it’s not the how, it’s the why.”
Having a strong purpose provides that WHY.
It’s easy to see from what Butcher is saying that if you aren’t clear about your purpose, then you won’t be able to sustain positive habits. Goals alone won’t help you achieve the kind of life you most desire. Our purpose then must be the foundation for habits and change and growth, otherwise we won’t be able to sustain them. Having a clear and powerful reason behind what we do can help us make better decisions, stay the course, and push past all of the difficult times when we feel like quitting.
And there is no better time to get clear about your why than the end of an old year. That’s why I make a year-end review part of my New Year’s custom. A few years ago, a friend gave me a New Year’s checklist to focus and prepare with intention the year on the horizon. It was a list of 20 questions to identify my purpose and stay in alignment with who I really am. Once I began using this yearly checklist, life changed for me. I became happier than I have ever been in my life. I experienced more freedom than I ever could have imagined. I owe these positive outcomes to being clear about who I am, why I’m here, and what I really want in my life. And with clarity it becomes easier to weed out things that don’t support those aspirations.
Because I continue to experience life-changing results by using this yearly review process, I just had to share it with my readers. I promise, if you answer these 20 questions, you will experience your best life in 2018. We seldom ask ourselves the tough questions that bring clarity of purpose and passion. So here’s your chance to take an inventory of your past year. Shine some light on the experiences you’ve had, so they can inform and guide you in making decisions for the new year to come.
You can use the list as an overall analysis or apply it to different areas of your life like finances, career, relationships, etc., depending on how in depth you want to go. Taking a close look at your year in review is an important process in forming and maintaining the habits we need to support the life we want.
Looking Back at 2017
1. What is the best thing that happened to you in 2017?
2. What attributes in others inspired you the most in 2017?
3. What was the smartest decision you made in 2017?
4. What was your greatest learning decision in 2017?
5. What brought you the most joy?
6. What was the most challenging experience for you in 2017 and what did you learn from it?
7. If the person or situation that caused you the most pain and grief in 2017 was actually a blessing in disguise, what is the blessing and how might you celebrate it?
8. During 2017, what did you do for yourself to grow personally, physically, emotionally, spiritually, financially, relationally?
9. What three things are you most grateful for?
10. What disempowering story or excuse are you willing to let go of in order to move forward in 2018?
Looking Ahead to 2018
1. If you didn’t care what anyone thought, or what it cost, what would you love to do more than anything in 2018?
2. What one baby step could you take in the direction of doing what you love in 2018?
3. What one thing could you implement in 2018 that would support you most in attaining the life of your dreams?
4. If you could become more like the people you associate with, whom would you like to spend more time with?
5. What can you do to take better care of yourself in 2018?
6. What are you looking forward to learning in 2018?
7. What contribution do you want to make in 2018?
8. What can you do differently to be a better person, parent, friend, spouse or love partner?
9. What requests are you willing to make in 2018 to get what you want?
10. If 2018 were the last year of your life, what would you do differently?
If you’re ready, take a pretty piece of paper, write out these questions and their answers as simple reminders for focus in the year ahead. Post them where you can see them every day.
- What is 2018 going to be about for you (one word) – the theme for the year? If you could identify one word from the answers to your questions above, what would be the focus for the next 365 days. The word should describe an action or state of being you want to embody. This year I’m going with “BRAVERY”
- Create one strong intention for the year. Mine for 2018: “My intention for the year is to bravely enjoy living in love, freedom, and creativity surrounded by people who inspire me!”
- List 3-5 Action Steps – how are you going to make this year yours? Begin each step with “I will…” Make the action steps powerful and impactful. Keep them simple. Keep them your own.
Three Cheers to 2018!! May it bring you all your heart and soul desire!
If you’re ready to realize your best year yet, let’s talk about how Soul Set in Motion Life Coaching Sessions can help you form and build the habits that will support your Big Vision!
I’m offering some huge New Year’s Specials right now and through the end of January, because I want to see you succeed! Contact me at Tracy@soulsetinmotion.com to set an appointment for a FREE half hour strategy session.